Bachrach- Stein House
This house has been called both the David Bachrach House and the Gertrude Stein House because it was once home to both of these Baltimore artists. Located in the Reservoir Hill area of Baltimore which features some of the finest examples of Victorian, Italianate and empire-style homes in the city.
Built in 1886, it is an a beautiful 19th-century Victorian frame home with two stories plus a mansard roof. David Bachrach, a prominent American photographer lived in the home. He is probably best known for photographing Abraham Lincoln at the Gettysburg Address.
There is also a one-story building located on the property which was built for Bachrach’s brother-in-law, Ephraim Keyser about 1890 and was used as a sculpture studio. Also, Mrs. David Bachrach’s niece, Gertrude Stein, lived here for a while in 1892.
Designed by Baltimore architect, George Frederick, who also designed the City Hall and St. James the Less Roman Catholic Church, it was a large home that included an art studio in the backyard. It was actually 6,200 square feet, nearly two times the size of most other Baltimore homes.
The last members of the Bachrach and Keyser families left the house in 1920 with Ephraim Keyser moving to 20 Overhill Road in Roland Park and Fannie Bachrach to the Tudor Arms apartments on University Parkway near Wyman Park, where she died in 1937.
Today the house has four apartments in the main house and another in the Keyser Sculpture Studio. When the property was rehabbed by Healthy Neighborhoods, they were able to salvage enough of the original staircase to duplicate it. They also had a photograph of David Bachrach’s family taken on the side porch and this provided valuable clues that they were able to copy and return this house to its former glory.