Oscar Anderson House
Oscar Anderson, who said he was the 18th person to set foot in what is today Anchorage, Alaska (actually Riverside) which was then a tent city for railroad workers. He established a partnership with a man named Jensen as the primary meat packer for the region. He built this wood frame house in 1915 and lived there until he passed away in 1974.
He was then a successful bidder in the land auction that was held on July 15, 1915. On one of those parcels, he moved his Ship Creek Market and on another he began construction of a house. This second property had a very nice view of the tidewater and mountains. It is believed that this home is the first permanent that was built after the establishment of the Anchorage town site. Anderson was also one of the original owners of the Evan Jones Coal Company which was established in Jonesville in 1921. Later, he was the company’s president and general manager. In addition to his interest in providing food and fuel to the community, he eventually also gave his support to the Anchorage Times and the introduction of air transport into the area. The 1-1/2 story house was similar to other bungalow construction of the era and had a gabled roof and a single dormer upstairs.
The house is 20′ x 40′ with a square, indented porch on the southeast corner. Entry to the house is made through a foyer with stairs to the upper level located straight ahead. Upon entry to the house, the living room is on the left and has a simple brick fireplace and recessed bay window. Also downstairs are the bath, kitchen and dining room, which has original woodwork and includes a built-in buffet.
After Anderson’s passing, his widow gave the property to the Municipality of Anchorage for preservation in 1976. The house was moved about 60 feet away from its original location to its present site. Today it is the Oscar Anderson House Museum at 420 M Street in downtown Anchorage.